The Federal Communications Commission is investigating “The View” for potential violations of the equal time rule, FCC Chairman Brendan Carr confirmed Wednesday—the latest escalation in the Trump administration’s campaign against talk shows that criticize the president.
“The FCC has an enforcement action underway on that,” Carr told reporters. “And we’re taking a look at it.”
The investigation centers on appearances by Democratic Texas Senate candidates James Talarico and Rep. Jasmine Crockett on the daytime ABC program. The equal time rule requires broadcast stations to give political candidates equivalent airtime when their opponents appear.
This comes days after Stephen Colbert revealed that CBS executives pulled a Talarico interview from his show over fears it violated the rule—a decision the late-night host has openly mocked on air. “CBS generously did it for him,” Colbert said Tuesday, referring to Carr’s earlier suggestion that he might eliminate the exemption that has traditionally protected talk shows from equal time requirements.
The FCC issued new guidance in January warning late-night and daytime hosts about equal time obligations, stating the agency “has not been presented with any evidence” that current talk show interview segments qualify for the traditional news program exemption.
Carr, a Trump appointee, had previously floated investigating “The View” specifically—a show whose hosts have been frequent critics of the Republican president. On Wednesday, he called watching the Colbert fallout “probably one of the most fun days I’ve had in the job.”
The chilling effect is already visible. But Colbert found a workaround: he posted the Talarico interview to YouTube, where it’s racked up more than 7.5 million views—several times what his CBS program draws nightly. Talarico reported raising $2.5 million in the 24 hours after.
A spokesperson for “The View” declined to comment on the investigation.
