Trump has assembled a massive U.S. military force capable of striking Iran within days, even as fragile diplomatic talks continue and war appears increasingly likely.
According to The New York Times, the Pentagon has surged fighter jets, refueling planes, missile defenses and two aircraft carrier strike groups to the region — while the National Iranian American Council is warning Congress that the administration may be preparing an “illegal military adventure.”
Trump now has the option to launch military action against Iran as soon as this weekend, administration and Pentagon officials told the Times.
• The buildup includes more than 50 additional fighter jets, dozens of refueling tankers, Patriot and THAAD missile defense systems, and two carrier strike groups — the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln and the U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford.
• American B-2 bombers are also on heightened alert.
• Roughly 30,000–40,000 U.S. troops are stationed across the Middle East.
Despite this, Trump has given no public indication he’s made a final decision.
Indirect talks between U.S. and Iranian officials in Geneva ended Tuesday with what Iran described as agreement on a “set of guiding principles.” U.S. officials said progress was made, but “big gaps remain.”
• Iran has reportedly asked for two weeks to present more detailed proposals.
• Trump has demanded Iran halt uranium enrichment entirely.
• Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is pushing for aggressive action and Israeli forces are preparing for a possible joint strike.
Critics warn diplomacy may be functioning as a ticking clock — buying time for military positioning while increasing the risk of catastrophic escalation.
An attack would come just eight months after a 12-day U.S.-Israeli assault on Iranian nuclear and military sites.
• After those strikes, Trump declared Iran’s nuclear program had been “obliterated.”
• Now, he is considering sending U.S. forces back to “continue the job.”
Iran has threatened retaliation, including missile strikes on Israel and U.S. forces. It could also target regional infrastructure or disrupt the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly 20% of global oil flows.
Even U.S. military officials have reportedly cautioned that while American forces may be able to defend against short-term retaliation, sustaining a longer war is far less certain.
The National Iranian American Council is urging lawmakers to reassert Congress’s constitutional authority over war powers before any strike is launched.
• NIAC warned Wednesday that the administration appears to be barreling toward war without clear authorization.
• The group called on members of Congress to act immediately to prevent an unauthorized attack.
Congress has not formally declared war since 1942. Presidents of both parties have relied on broad authorizations or executive authority to launch military actions — steadily sidelining lawmakers and voters alike.
Trump ran promising to keep America out of “endless wars.”
If he orders strikes on Iran, it would mark at least the seventh American military attack in another country in the past year — and his second on Iran.
The military pieces are now in place. Diplomacy is dangling by a thread.
The decision rests with one man — and the consequences could reshape the Middle East, global oil markets, and the lives of American troops caught in the crossfire.
