On today’s NOTICE News: Protests broke out over the weekend after video of Tyre Nichols, a Black man, being beaten by police—who later died from the injuries—was released. Plus: What is ChatGPT? Here’s a transcript of today’s show.
- For what reason was Tyre Nichols reportedly stopped by police initially?
- What did an autopsy conclude as the cause of death for Tyre Nichols?
- The officers involved in the beating of Tyre Nichols were charged with second-degree murder on Thursday, but what happened in the case Friday that ignited outrage over the weekend?
- How is the death of Tyre Nichols related to the deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor?
- Why might the National Archives feel the need to have all ex-presidents and vice presidents check for possessing classified documents?
- What about the capability to write poetry brings the technological ability of AI to a new and even perhaps startling level?
- Given that the five officers charged in the death of Tyre Nichols were Black, some are pointing out that the current moment speaks particularly to police brutality rather than racial tensions. Is there anything about the details of this case that you think might renew the calls for legislation regarding police departments’ use of force?
- Having the National Archives call for all ex-presidents and vice presidents to check for possessing classified documents shows that there could be an issue with the process of transitioning power in the White House. What are some reasons that classified documents need to be and remain protected? What could be some consequences if they are not protected? Do you have any ideas about new or increased protocols that should be put in place for when an administration transitions out of office in order to protect government secrets?
- Why might some educators feel extremely concerned about AI that can write and create in the manner that this new technology can? Should they be concerned? Aside from anti-cheating technology, what other strategies could teachers use to make sure that their students’ work is genuine?
- Our top story: Protesters across the US decry police brutality after Tyre Nichols’ death (CNN)
- Timeline: Events In The Memphis Police Beating Death Of Tyre Nichols (Reuters)
- Latest update: Tyre Nichols’ Family Says Death Must Galvanize Efforts To Reform Police (Reuters)
- What is ChatGPT? Good explainer from Insider
- For Teachers: Meet ChatGPT Zero – the tool that detects ChatGPT writing (Tech&Learning)