On today’s NOTICE News Daily: Students in Los Angeles are getting a three day break—because school support staff have gone on strike and teachers have joined them. Plus: more science fiction becomes reality with the introduction of new jetpacks.
More info On…
Top Story: Los Angeles Education Strike Cancels School For 420,000 Students
Some 30,000 education workers backed by the teachers’ union walked off the job for a three-day strike in Los Angeles on Tuesday, canceling school for nearly half a million students in the second-largest school district in the United States. >> Full story
- Go deeper: The massive Los Angeles public school worker strike, explained (Left-leaning Vox)
- For background: The History of Unions in the United States (Investopedia)
- In their words: Why the union says they are striking, and answer other questions
- Opinion: Why I’m on strike with other Los Angeles school workers (USA Today)
In Other News…
- Charges unlikely Wednesday in Trump hush-money probe as grand jury stays home: Former President Donald Trump appeared unlikely to face criminal charges on Wednesday after a law enforcement source said a grand jury investigating alleged illegal hush-money payments to a woman would not meet again before Thursday. >> Full story
- Tens Of Thousands Without Power In California As Latest Storm Lashes State: Tens of thousands of storm-weary Californians were without power and under evacuation warnings on Wednesday as the latest storm packing wind-blown rain and snow threatened to bring more flooding to the rain-soaked state. >> Full story
- The Weeknd is the world’s most popular artist, Guinness World Records says: >> Full story from CBS
Introducing the Gravity-Defying Racing Suit
Inventor Richard Browning has designed a JetSuit, featuring two jet engines attached to each arm and a fifth engine strapped to the back. The suit can propel a 200-pound person for up to 7 minutes, reaching speeds of up to 85 miles per hour. Browning has announced an international race series where celebrities and sports personalities race through gates using the JetSuit, with the races taking place over water in locations around the world.