On today’s NOTICE News Daily: President Joe Biden made a surprise visit to Ukraine in a show of support against the Russian invasion. Angie has the latest from Washington. Plus: Want a blue checkmark on Instagram? Here’s how much it will cost you.
More info On…
Top Story: Biden Makes Surprise Visit to Ukraine
KYIV (Reuters) -U.S. President Joe Biden made an unannounced visit to Kyiv on Monday, promising President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that Washington would stand with Ukraine as long as it takes, in a strong show of support ahead of the war’s one-year anniversary. >> Read the full story
- During the historic visit, Biden promised new military aid for Kyiv (Reuters)
- How did the president’s secret trip come together? Months of planning and days of secrecy (CNN)
- More: US warned Russia of Biden’s visit to Ukraine ‘hours’ before departure (Fox News)
- How many people killed or wounded? Norway says 280k+, U.S. has slightly lower estimate (France24)
In Other News…
- North Korea Fires Two More Missiles, Threatens To Turn Pacific Into ‘Firing Range’: Analysts said the warning about the Pacific being a North Korean firing range from leader Kim’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, could signal plans to fire more missiles further, possibly in the direction of the U.S. territory of Guam. >> Full story
- Former President Jimmy Carter Enters Hospice (End of Life) Care: Carter, 98, who has lived longer after leaving the White House than any former president in U.S. history, was a Democrat who served from January 1977 to January 1981. >> Full story
- Magic: The Gathering Becomes a Billion-Dollar Brand for Toymaker Hasbro: >> Full story from The New York Times
Facebook, Instagram To Start Charging for Blue Checkmark
(Reuters) – Meta Platforms on Sunday announced that it is testing a monthly subscription service, called Meta Verified, which will let users verify their accounts using a government ID and get a blue badge, as it looks to help content creators grow and build communities.
The subscription bundle for Instagram and Facebook, to be launched later this week, also includes extra protection against impersonation and will be priced starting at $11.99 per month on the web or $14.99 a month on Apple’s iOS system and Android.
Meta Verified will be rolled out in Australia and New Zealand this week, with gradual launches in other countries to follow. >> Read more
- Why did President Biden’s surprise trip to Kyiv in Ukraine need to remain a secret until after he arrived?
- How might the image of President Biden strolling the streets of Kyiv while air sirens blare be symbolic?
- How is Meta Verified different from how Facebook and Instagram have functioned previously?
- What are some things about the new Meta service that might upset or perturb users?
- What is likely a key reason that Meta is introducing its new subscription service?
- Only a select few senior staff went along with President Biden on his surprise trip to Ukraine, and even journalists had to hand over their phones for the trip. Do you think it was necessary for everyone to hand over their phones in this instance? Why or why not?
- With President Biden’s announcement of another $500 million in aid to Ukraine, some are beginning to question how long the funding can go on, especially after the $48 billion in 2022. What are some reasons people might question continuously giving aid to Ukraine, more than the U.S. has given to a European since the end of WWII? Why might many think it’s important to continue supporting the country?
- Meta’s new subscription service offers some new elements to Facebook and Instagram users, and while some may like aspects of it, others will certainly not. What may be some pros and cons to Meta Verified?