On today’s NOTICE News: As the death toll in Turkey and Syria rises to above 11,000 in that massive earthquake, we take a look at what areas of our country are at risk for quakes. Plus: Is LeBron officially the GOAT? Here’s a transcript of today’s show.
- How deadly has the earthquake along the Turkish and Syrian border been in the context of recent history?
- Why might the Turkish president have declared that the State of Emergency needs to last for at least three months?
- In what ways could limited resources, the scale of the destruction, and difficult weather conditions be complicating the recovery?
- Why is it likely the U.S. may also suffer severe earthquakes?
- What record did LeBron James break, and what basketball player held it previously?
- How does LeBron define “greatness” in his own words?
- International aid is making its way to support the two countries devastated by the tragic earthquake. Especially in the wake of challenges making the recovery efforts more difficult, such aid can be costly. Is it the role of the international community to help in such times of need? What might other countries be able to offer that perhaps a country suffering might not? What might be some reasons people could be against providing such aid?
- Knowing that the United States is also sitting on multiple fault lines, it’s not so much a matter of if there could be earthquakes in the future here, but when. What precautions could cities and people take to prepare for that potentially happening?
- LeBron James says that “greatness is defined by how much hard work you put into what you do.” Consider other arenas in life where this view could be true. Describe other scenarios where such a belief could be applicable and even helpful.
- Our top story: The death toll in that Middle Eastern earthquake tops 11,000 (Reuters)
- Map: A closer look at areas of the U.S. that are at risk for earthquakes (Michigan Tech)
- A real-time map of Earthquakes in the U.S. from the U.S. Geological Survey
- How to help victims of the earthquake in Turkey and Syria (PBS Newshour)
- Which side are you on? LeBron Reignites ‘GOAT’ Debate After Breaking NBA Scoring Record (Reuters)