On today’s NOTICE News: Thousands are dead after a massive earthquake hit Turkey and Syria on Monday morning. We have the latest on the situation. Plus: Beyoncé made Grammy history last night, but some people are still mad. Here’s a transcript of today’s show.
- What causes an earthquake?
- Why is Turkey one of the world’s most earthquake-prone locations?
- What is already causing suffering in this region of the Middle East that will only be exacerbated or made worse by the earthquake?
- How is AMC, America’s largest movie theater chain, going to change how they charge for seats?
- What record did Beyonce break at Sunday night’s Grammy awards?
- What is the criticism of the Recording Academy in terms of how they award women and people of color?
- Some argue that people shouldn’t settle in areas that are highly likely to experience natural disasters; however, some believe that this isn’t a realistic argument. What might be reasons some believe that people shouldn’t settle in naturally dangerous places? What might be reasons that some defend living in places more likely to be affected by natural disasters?
- Why could there be pushback against the changes AMC is making to how they charge for seats in movie theaters? Do you think this will help or hurt efforts to bring people back to watching movies inside theaters, and how so?
- Why would winning awards in cross-genre categories, rather than genre-specific categories, be evidence of the Recording Academy being more representative in its choices? Other organizations like The Foreign Press Association, (which gives the Golden Globes), and the Academy of Arts and Sciences, (which gives Oscars), have received similar criticism for their practices in recent years. What actions or steps could such groups take to address the issue?
- Our top story: Major Earthquake Kills 3,700 In Turkey And Syria, As Winter Weather Hits Survivors (Reuters)
- FAQ: Why Was The Turkey-Syria Earthquake So Bad? (Reuters)
- For Tuesday night: The State of the Union address’s history, explained (Vox)
- Sorry, Spike. There’s a new world’s oldest living dog – and he’s the oldest ever recorded (CNN)
- And finally: Beyonce Breaks All-Time Grammy Wins Record, But Harry Styles Claims Album Prize (Reuters)